Tuesday 17 September 2013

New and Maybe the Last?


The Salvation Army's new song book is due to be released later this year. The song book, in its various forms, has been a source of inspiration and a devotional resource for countless people over the years. Within its pages are songs that illicit praise and worship, teach theology, and give the framework for Salvation Army distinctives. But the question needs to be asked - "Do we need a new songbook?"

I am sure this is the same question that has been asked each time a new version has been released. Some people do not want to see some of their favourite songs not make the final cut. Then there is the cost of having to purchase a new set of books for the church and tune books for the musicians.

When I ask, "Why a new song book?" it is for the following reasons...

1. Print media is a dying information delivery system. I recently read a blog titled, The End of Books, in which the author Seth Godin made this comment, "We're entering a new golden age for books, one with more books and ebooks written and read today than ever before. Books won't be completely eliminated, but please don't hold your breath for any element of the treasured ecosystem to return in force. I am not arguing that we push the ecosystem out of the door, but I am encouraging us not to spend too much time trying to save it."

I personally do not read the newspaper preferring instead to read the news each morning on my iPad. I like to read the latest book by my favourite author, but I would rather watch him or her teach about the contents of the book on You Tube or iTunesU. I seldom read novels instead I listen to audio books. Even in church, at least my church, all of the songs are projected on a screen. I agree with Seth Godin - printed and bound books will never disappear but they will never hold the place they once did in society.

2. A printed song book freezes time. Think of the worship wars that were fought in too many congregations; it was a fight between old and new - old song book versus new worship media. The song book, even as good as it is, keeps a congregation stuck in the past.

It is like buying a top of the line computer and the minute you take it home it is already obsolete. Oh sure the computer will work fine and serve you well for many years but there is always something new and often better available.

Any printed document is stuck in the age that it is printed. People do not go to a newsstand to purchase a paper from 1983 and expect to find current news stories, and they definitely wouldn't do it every day!

Closely related to #2 is...

3. A printed song book can close a congregation to new possibilities. I speak to this from experience. In the revitalization of churches that I have been involved with, the one thing that is taboo is the song book. Change whatever you want but don't mess with "The Book."

There are a lot of real good songs in the song book - and there are a lot of real stinkers! (God of concrete God of steel God of piston and the wheel. Look it up, its in there!) As good as the songs are in the song book, they are not the only songs available for worship. I read a tweet this week that stated that this Sunday over 30 million people in the USA will sing a Chris Tomlin song. THIRTY MILLION! That is like all of Canada singing "Here I am to Worship" this Sunday! (By the way, Here I am to Worship is over 10 years old now) Now if a Salvation Army congregation only uses the song book in their worship, they would never have the opportunity to hear the great worship songs being written every day.

Some congregations will print their own "chorus book" that has some of the "new" worship songs - as new as the printing of the book at least. I have even heard of some congregations trying to be more contemporary by having a time at the beginning of the Sunday morning service for singing worship songs before they get to the real meeting with the song book. I personally think that is wrong, but hey whatever floats your boat.

I understand that the new song book is going to include some "current" worship music, perhaps "Majesty" will make it into the chorus section, even though we haven't used it in a worship service for over 10 years.

So we are going to have a new song book and it very well may be the last one in printed form. When the next edition is prepared in 25 years or so, we will be able to use our digital interface devices to instantly access the contents.

I want to finish with my favorite line in the song book (not my favorite song - that is Holy, Holy Holy) because it is a truth I try to live by...

"Forward! Be our watchword." (SB 682)

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment